State Records accepts transfers of permanent records which are over 15 years old or no longer required for current administrative purposes.
The records must be identified as permanent in either a Records Disposal Schedule (RDS), covering agency specific records, or in a General Disposal Schedule (GDS) covering common types of records.
There are a number of steps involved before a physical transfer of records can occur.
- Agency registration - documenting the organisation(s) which created the records and the agency now responsible for the records
- Series registration - documenting the unique recordkeeping system which the sequence of records comes from
- Public access determination - determining when the public can access the records
- Preparing records for transfer - sorting and boxing the records
- Listing records for transfer - listing each item which is to be transferred.
The steps are broadly described by the following flowchart. N.B. This flowchart is not a comprehensive depiction of the transfer process.
If you have questions about transferring permanent records, email the Archive Team, providing information about the type and quantity of records that you have, date range, system of arrangement of the records, and the disposal schedule that makes the records permanent. An Archivist will contact you with further enquiries or to provide you with advice.