Making a Privacy Complaint

Who can I make a complaint to?

If you believe your privacy has been infringed by a South Australian Government agency you should, in the first instance, speak directly with the agency that you believe has breached your privacy.  You can use the list of South Australian Government Departments to find contact details for the relevant agency.

If the agency is unable to help you, or you are dissatisfied with the response, you can lodge a complaint with the Privacy Committee of South Australia.

Complaints must be made in writing, and can be lodged via Australia Post or by email at

Complaints about Commonwealth Government agencies or private sector organisations should be directed to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.  The Privacy Committee is unable to respond to complaints regarding these organisations.

How will my complaint be handled?

In the first instance, the Privacy Committee will forward your complaint to the agency you believe has breached your privacy.  The Committee will seek a response from the agency as to whether they consider whether they consider a breach of the Information Privacy Principles has occurred and, if so, what action has been or might be taken to resolve the matter.

The Privacy Committee will assess the response and, if necessary, make a recommendation to the agency to amend their practices or to adopt other measures to resolve the complaint. The Committee will acknowledge receipt of your complaint in writing and provide you with updates throughout the complaint resolution process as necessary.

Please allow up to six weeks for your complaint to be dealt with.  If you have any queries regarding the progress of your complaint please contact the Executive Officer of the Privacy Committee.  

If your complaint relates to privacy breaches in the delivery of Government health services, the Committee may refer the complaint to the Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner.

If your complaint relates to privacy breaches that may involve corruption, misconduct and maladministration in public administration the Committee may refer your complaint to the Independent Commissioner Against Corruption.   


Back to the top